The Hectic Podcast
Belonging with Cam Lee Small
February 21, 2022
Darryl Kelly / Cam Lee Small
How well do you know yourself? What you can offer to the world, who you are, and where you want to go in life are all questions that can only be answered through self-knowledge. In this week’s episode, Cam Lee Small joins me to explore these questions and the journey required to understand yourself fully.
As a trans-racial adoptee and clinical psychologist, Cam has both personal and professional experience with this process. He shares insights from his own journey, coupled with what he’s learned in his work, to normalize and empower mental health support for future generations.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How growing up as a Korean adoptee in a small town in Wisconsin shaped who he is, what he does, and how he learned to own his story.
- Why discovering who you are and what you’re capable of can lead to a more fulfilling life.
- About the patterns we use to protect ourselves in certain stages of life and how to appreciate the ways they served us.
- Why letting these protections go when they’re no longer needed can free us from self-made restrictions.
- The formal and informal ways that mental health support can help us normalize our thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
- Plus, how content creators can help drive this normalization for future generations.
- Tips for finding mentors for both your personal and professional interests.
- Why asking yourself questions is essential to a healthier, more fulfilling life.
- The ways validating and naming your internal experiences frees you to make better decisions.
- Who has had the greatest impact on Cam's life and why.